Thursday, November 3, 2016

Passes on the legacy

It couldn’t be an easy task to take over for a quarterback who led a team to a 10-win season and its first ever appearance on the national ranks.
Senior quarterback Kenny Potter was tasked with filling that role when he transferred to the Spartans last year.
“We have a family atmosphere,” Potter said. “Everyone is close, constantly hanging out with the guys outside of football and they are our best friends on and off the field.”
While Potter will not lead the team to another 10-win season like David Fales, he was a big part of the Spartans’ bowl-winning season last year.
“It was really cool,” Potter said. “We got to go up to Orlando six days before the game and got to hang out with the guys. To come out with a victory was big for the program and we knew that we were a good enough team to be bowl-eligible even though we were 5-7.”
The dual-threat quarterback played a big role in the Spartans’ opportunity to play in the Auto-Nation Cure Bowl last season after bursting onto the scene with his ability ---to accurately throw the ball on the run.
“I feel like I try to emulate my game off of Aaron Rodgers,” Potter said. “Even though I don’t have the arm strength he does, but I do feel that I have the pocket presence he does and the escapability where I can keep my eyes down the field and still make plays.”
He has shown throughout his two years at SJSU his ability to make a play after everything breaks down by being able to escape from the pocket and use his legs to keep a drive alive.
“When I was young I always grew up watching football with my dad,” Potter said. “Everybody in my family played and I always wanted to follow in their footsteps.”
After he graduates with a degree in communications, Potter intends to try and do what he can to keep himself on the field, but knows that he has the degree to fall back on.
“I am going to pursue the dream of playing at the next level,” Potter said. “I know that nothing is guaranteed and I have always taken school very seriously so I am set up to have a very successful life after football.”
The competition of the game and it is what drives Potter everyday both on and off the field.
“The competition,” Potter said. “The moment when maybe everyone is pulling against you in an away game and then you shut the crowd up. I love winning and I hate losing.”
Off the field he is like anyone else, going to school and spending time outside in his free time.
“I like golfing,” Potter said. “That is one thing that I do not much during the season but in the offseason I like that, going to the beach and I love to eat.”
During games, Potter likes to find the balance between competitiveness and calmness in order to play at his best, however after games, especially after wins, a different animal is released from him and his teammates.
“We are always dancing and singing in there,” Potter said. “Coach (Al) Borges actually sang and danced for us last game after we played UNLV.”
Potter and his teammates hope they will be dancing and singing on Friday when they take on Boise State in Idaho.
“We are looking forward to going into Boise and competing against a good team,” Potter said. “If we execute, we should come away with a win.”

The Spartans are heavy underdogs against the Broncos, who are ranked 24th nationally and are coming off their first loss of the season against Wyoming last weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment